One interesting design cue in the B6 / B7 (2001.5-2008) Audi A4 and S4 is the door blades – these fins protrude from underneath the door and give the car a more sporty look that is uniquely Audi – you won’t see door blades like this on any other car. There are three styles of door blades you can install on your Audi A4/S4, and they’re all universal between B6 and B7 body styles, as well as A4, S4, and RS4 models in the sedan or avant format (the convertible does have different door blades however). The three styles are:
- Audi A4 Door Blades – completely flat and they do not poke out from the side skirt at all.
- Audi A4 S-Line or USP (Ultra Sport Package) Door Blades – these look like the S4 door blades (above) only smaller and less aggressive.
- Audi S4 Door Blades – the most aggressive of the three, these door blades stick out the furthest from the body and have the sharpest angles.
To install or swap door blades from one style to the other is very easy – all you need is a phillips screw driver, and you can swap out all four in under 20 minutes. There are two screws on the bottom of the door, which is all you need to remove, and then the door blade slides out. Here are a few pictures & step by step instructions on how to install & swap out a door blade (it is the same for all four doors).
Step 1 – Remove the two screws on the bottom of the inside of the door. One is on the outside edge, one on the inside edge.
And here is the other screw:
Step 2 – Slide out the door blade. The door blades slide in and out, so simply pull the door blade outward away from the car when the door is open and it should slide 4-5 inches and the fall off.
Step 3 – Slide on the new door blade and insert & tighten both screws again (basically, steps 1 & 2 in reverse). You’re done!
Installation is easy and there is no doubt the door blades add an awesome visual effect to the car, whether you’re going for a clean & stealthy look with the flat door blades off of a standard A4, or a super aggressive and sporty look with door blades from an Audi A4.
The tough part is finding these parts at a good price. Although they’re a simple piece of molded plastic & fiberglass, they’re rather expensive, especially when you factor in painting costs. Here are my recommendations on where to buy Audi S4 Door blades
- Ebay – you can buy OEM and aftermarket S4 blades on eBay. I recommend going the OEM route, but if you have a good body shop the aftermarket ones could be a good route too.
|View all items...||(Powered by: WP eBay Ads)|
- ECS Tuning – they have brand new OEM Audi S4 door blades in stock at around $500, and they’re currently offered with free shipping: http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B7_A4-FWD-2.0T/Exterior/Body/Mouldings/ES3243/
- Audizine Classifieds – you can often find a set of used Audi door blades here, and depending on price and paint finish, you can sometimes get a good deal. You need to act quick though, as these are in high demand and usually sell very quickly: http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showcat.php?cat=35 – be sure to browse both the B6 and B7 classifieds, as the door blades are universal and fit either body style
- Junk Yards – if you get really lucky, you can find a set on a wrecked Audi in a junk yard. Since they’re so easy to remove, you can pick-n-pull the part yourself and usually get a very good deal on it assuming the junk yard doesn’t know what they’re actually worth. The hard part is finding wrecked Audi A4/S4s, especially if you’re looking for one in the same color.
- Eurogear – these are pretty cool – they’re not OEM door blades, but instead they are custom made Carbon Fiber replicas. If you have a lot of carbon fiber on your exterior, this would be a great way to tie it all together, and they run the same price as the OEM door blades from ECS Tuning at around $495: http://www.eurogearusa.com/door_blades/products/b6_audi_s4_carbon_fiber_door_blades.html
- Audi Dealerships – talk to your local Audi Dealership and see what kind of price they can get you…chances are they can’t beat ECS Tuning’s price, but its worth a shot.
Here are the part numbers for OEM Audi S4 door blades:
And that’s my guide to Audi A4/S4 lower door blades. This subtle part can really transform the side view of your car, and they’re easy to install – the only downside is their price. If you’re patient, keep your eyes peeled for some used door blades, otherwise, be prepared to spend around $500 for a new set, and probably another $250 to paint them. Some people do leave them unpainted in flat black, which can look really cool & aggressive on some cars, but that’s a matter of taste & preference.
Recent posts in Audi News