I have been teasing a few pictures on my Facebook Page of a new wheel setup that I’ve been working on over the past few months, and now I’m ready for the full reveal. I had been wanting a set of Gallardo wheels for quite some time, and even posted about it before, so I’m excited to have finally got the chance to do it.
One of the cool things about Audi and Lamborghini being both owned Volkswagen is that a lot of parts are shared – and even some of the parts that aren’t shared are still compatible with each other across the brands. In the case of the Gallardo, many items like the steering wheel, navigation unit (RNS-E), and Brembo Brakes are shared with the RS4. Although the wheels are unique to Lamborghini, the bolt pattern is identical and they actually fit up nicely to an Audi when you use the front wheels. I researched the wheels further and found the specs are actually quite perfect when looking at the front wheels, as they are 19×8.5 with an offset of ET42 and a centerbore of 57.1 – nearly identical to many OEM Audi wheels.
Originally I considered trying to run the 19×11 rear wheels, but the offset was too high. Even with 15mm of spacers, the wheels rubbed on the inside against the suspension. There was just no way to get them to fit well unless they poked out far beyond what looked good – and with looks aside, there was no way around the wheel rubbing, it was just a matter of if it rubbed on the fender or the suspension, neither of which I wanted. So I sold the rear wheels and I started looking for two more front wheels.
I looked on eBay and found two front wheels being sold separately that I made an offer on. They came in great shape, so the last ingredient was finding center caps. A website called LamboStuff.com helped with that last piece of the equation, giving me a set of four front wheels and center caps. I found some used tires locally for cheap to finish the set, and all-in I spent about $1500 to create this set.
Last but not least, I contacted DipYourCar.com and bought one of their Plasti-Dip Wheel Kits. Two of the wheels were chrome and two were silver, but I wanted Gunmetal regardless so Plasti-Dip was a great solution to see what looks best and do it on the cheap for about $50 all said and done. The Plasti-Dip is holding up nicely after a few weeks of use and several washes – it’s a great solution for anyone looking for a short to medium term color change of their wheels. I’ll post an update on the blog with long term durability after a few seasons, but I do know several people who have used Plasti-Dip over the long term with no problems. The color of the dip is called “Charcoal” and it’s a very dark gunmetal. I am probably going to try re-spraying them in their lighter Gunmetal shade as I think it might work a little nicer with my Brilliant Red car.