I have been following Justin aka “0000 V8″‘s build thread on Audizine since last November and was excited to see the car is mostly complete and ready to hit the track, so I hit up Justin for some more information and pictures which he’s kindly shared with me below. Justin’s build is nothing short of a dream car to someone like me, fully prepped and ready for wheel-to-wheel racing that takes full advantage of quattro and the superior handling dynamics of an Audi, while also packing a little “show” in terms of amazing looking body work and details such as the side exhaust. The car is sponsored by 034 Motorsport and Status Racing, and the photos in this post are courtesy of Solomon Lunger.
I had a quick Q&A with Justin to learn more about the car, what inspired the build, and more about the mastermind behind all of this. My favorite part of the build, which Justin talks about, is the challenge of turning a heavy four door sedan into a race car (there are certainly easier cars to modify for this purpose) as well as hearing the areas he’s most proud of. This car is a great example of the owner pouring his (or her) heart and soul into every detail, and that definitely shows as Justin describes the project in detail.
What inspired the car? Why an S4?
The S4 has always been my favorite car, and I realize there are cheaper and more “track suited” cars out there, but Im not into the cookie cutter cars. I wanted something I could really be proud of. I wanted a challenge. What better way to do that than make a luxury sport sedan into a full track bred beast.
I hope that my build inspires others to go down the same path.
Who helped with the build? Is this the first race car you’ve built?
A sponsorship deal at 034Motorsport helped in many ways to include discounted parts and lots of advice. With their Time Attack A4 and TTRS race car, they are more than track tested. I also received an incredible amount of support from the guys at my local racing shop, Evil Genius Racing. Without their knowledge and experience this car would never have left the drawing board. They allowed me to use their facilities at my own leisure, using tools and resources I didn’t have at home. I was able to fabricate many different parts myself.
Where do you plan on racing and driving the car? What is your past motorsports experience?
Before this build I never had any real racing experience on the track. Growing up I played a lot of racing games and it sparked my curiosity to get into street cars. I did some street racing when I was young and dumb, but my love for turns over strips came to be during my years of superbike ownership. I was really itching to get back in the seat and off the saddle.
My roadmap looks like this. Now that I have a solid foundation to build on (the car) I can begin to hone my track experience and get all the seat time I want. Ill move in to Time Trial events and eventually get a racing license. As of right now Im really looking at the NASA GTS (German Touring Series) Challenge for wheel-to-wheel racing a couple of years down the road.
What modification are you most proud of? What modification is your most controversial?
I think I’m most proud of the side-exit exhaust system. It was totally designed and fabricated by me, minus the welding. I came up with the idea of going through the side of the car and creating the aluminum heat shield plates. It came out beautiful, and the sound is absolutely incredible. I cant wait to shoot flames on the track.
I would say most of the racing parts are controversial because some people think that a B6 S4 isn’t track suited. Because of the huge engine, they are known for quite a bit of understeer. The big thing they are forgetting; however, is that I have more invested in my suspension and handling alone, than most people paid for there car.
What part(s) do you wish were made for the B6/B7 S4 that no one makes currently?
More race parts. But I guess that’s what makes this build so special. Everything and I mean everything had to be custom made as far as racing specific parts. As it turns out, that is where I came through the most in the project. How the car looks now (at least the things that are complete) is 95% how I imagined it in my head. I guess I have a talent for turning those dreams into reality. I learn as I go, do tons of research and just make designs work.
What is your dream car?
Honestly, the Audi was my dream car in a sense that I could actually acquire it and build it. Im not into exotic cars. Most people that are pay for them and that’s it. I wanted something I could build myself and really have fun with.
Tell us about yourself?
My name is Justin and I grew up in St. Paul, MN. I joined the Air Force in 2004 and have travel all over the world. I currently live in Northern California and love the outdoors. I enjoy mental and physical challenges, poker, and rock climbing.
Justin’s Mod List
Power & Drivetrain:
- JHM Tuned 4.2L V8 [full engine build in 2013]
- Custom Catless Downpipes (2.5”)
- X-Pipe (2.5”)
- Custom Side Exit Full Race Exhaust System (2.5”)
- Summit Fuel Pump, High Performance (450gal/hr,65psi,800hp)
- Canton Racing Accusump, 3q System
- Stratmosphere Intake with Heat Shielding
- Custom Fuel System with ATL Rear Cell 12gal Tank and Racing Fuel Pump
- Stock Tanks Gutted for Exhaust System Install
- Optima YellowTop, relocated to rear
- Quattro All-Wheel Drive with 6-spd Manual Transmission [upgrading to dogbox]
- Torsen 4:1 Center Differential Upgrade
- Stratmosphere Short Throw Shifter [upgrading to JHM]
Suspension & Brakes
- Evil Genius Custom Built Full Roll Cage
- PSi Raceline Twin-Tube Coilovers with Ohlins TTX Dampers/Eibach ERS Springs 800/1800
- 034Motorsport Solid Rear Sway Bar
- 034Motorsport Sway Bar Adjustable End Links
- 034Motorsport Fully Spherical Adjustable Upper Control Arm Kit (Race)
- Apikol Rear Differential Mount, Red
- Apikol Snub Mount w/bracket, Red
- 034 Motor Mounts, Motorsport
- 034 Density Line Transmission Mount
- STaSIS Alcon Mono4 355 BBK (F)
- Cobalt XR2 Track Pads (F)
- Slotted Rear Rotors
- Stainless Steel Brake Lines (F&R)
- Enkei 18×9 et35 5×112 PF01’s
- Federal 595 RS-R 255/35/18 [awaiting install]
- EuroGEAR Carbon Vented Hood w/AeroCatch Pins
- APR GTC-300 Carbon Wing
- APR Custom Carbon Splitter
- Custom 3″ Brake Vents [awaiting fab]
- GT3 Carbon Side Mirrors (with curved glass)
Interior & Safety
- Status Ring GT Blue Suede Carbon Racing Seat (also one FRP seat)
- Sparco 383 Competition Suede Steering Wheel
- Sparco Quick Release Steering Hub
- Sparco Floor Plate
- Sparco Aluminum Pedals
- MOMO Shift Knob [FOR SALE]
- MOMO Shift Boot [FOR SALE]
- Custom Race Gauge/Switch Panel
- AEM Digital Gauges
- A/F Ratio, Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Trans Temp, Voltage
- ATL Fuel Gauge
- Auto Meter Pro-Shift Light
- 6-pt Status Harnesses, Red
- Scroth Window Net
- Scroth Right Side Net
- Safecraft Fire Suppression System, 5lb Lever Release
- HANS 20-deg Neck Restraint (QuickClip with Gel)
Thanks for sharing your pics and story, Justin!